To alleviate poverty, encourage self-sufficiency,
and promote the dignity of all.

OUR HISTORY

1898

SmileyPortraitFounded by Alfred Smiley during a public meeting called by the Minister’s Association. Smiley was elected as the first president and the original name of the agency was Associated Charities of Redlands. In its early years, Family Service had few paid staff; it was a membership program with members paying no less than 25 cents each month. Each member of the Associated Charities was a volunteer case worker, appointed a “visitor” by the Executive Committee, and went out into the community to attend to the ill and destitute. The board met weekly and cases were presented and the committee decided which cases to fund. From the very beginning the agency offered “a hand up, not just a hand out.”

1904

The first employee, Mrs. Bertha Van de Carr was hired for the joint mission of acting as a “visiting missionary” to clients and collecting contributions from donors. She later became the organization’s first executive. She served the organization for 32 years.

1906

Associated Charities became incorporated and the first office opened in Mrs. Vande Carr’s home at 18 East Fern Avenue.

1909

LumberYardAssociated Charities opened a wood yard to provide jobs for unemployed men. Those employed were paid 15 cents an hour, paid out in “tickets” redeemable for food and lodging. The wood was offered for sale to the public.

1910

The first visiting nurse was hired.

1914

The organization received a bequest in the amount of $1,000; this was the beginning of our endowment fund. This fund, at the end of 2013 was valued at more than one million dollars.

1919

The first Thanksgiving Baskets, as we know them today, were given.

1927

The original building on the Lawton Street site was built for The House of Neighborly Service as part of a state-wide program started by the Presbyterian Church.

1929

The visiting nurse was seeing 250-300 cases per month.

1932

FamilyServiceEldridge Lyon, the donor of the Lyon Wing to A.K. Smiley Public Library, donated Family Service’s first building, at 114 Vine Street. The building originally served as Redlands’ first hospital. Mrs. Van de Carr established a Well Baby Clinic at the new location.

1938

Mrs. Van de Carr retired and Miss Dorothy Freeman was hired as the new Executive Secretary.

1939

The Christmas Shop was formally organized and coordinated by volunteers.

1942

Mrs. Viola Hesser became Executive Secretary and dealt with the many problems that came with the war years.

1947

Redlands Chamber of Commerce began plans to form a City Council of Social Agencies. In October this group became known as the Community Chest. In the 1970’s, Community Chest became The United Way.

1948

Associated Charities changed its name to Family Service Association to reflect the social service nature of the work done by the agency. Mrs. Hesser retired and Lucille Older was hired to become the 4th Director.

1967

After 50 years of service, the visiting nurse program was cancelled when State certification requirements changed.

1968 -1969

A full-time office secretary (Beulah Payne) was hired and FSA started a counseling service during this time. At one time, Family Service had four counselors on staff. The counseling service continued until the early 90’s, when FSA made the decision to contract with Christian Counseling Service – a partnership that continues today.

1974

Family Service asked the Community Chest for permission to have a drive for additional funds. This first FSA campaign letter brought in $6,000.

1977

Lucille Older, now Lucille Martin, retired and after a couple months with Ardis Enright as director, Family Service hired Betty Figueroa to run the agency. She was the sixth director and the first bi-lingual staff member.

1987

Board President, Rev. John Inglis (Pastor of Redlands’ First Presbyterian Church), along with Board members Dorothy Gerrard and Gene MacIntyre, presided over the sale of the Vine St. building and the move to and rehabilitation of a building at 402 W. Colton Ave., a building that originally housed the Hope Protestant Reformed Church. This allowed the organization to double the number of clients served.

1987

When Betty Figueroa retired, former board member Beverly Sanderson served as interim director for a few months before Bobie Tanley served as the eighth director for a couple of months.

1988

Amy Casil left United way and became the ninth director of FSA. With her familiarity with Redlands, Amy worked on finding a place to teach people to help themselves. She applied for grants and networked with other local agencies.

1990

The Presbytery of Riverside, who had run the House of Neighborly Services program and owned the Lawton Street property, agreed to lease it to Family Service for $1.00 a year.

2014

Cheryl Heesen retires as Executive Director after 16 years of service. Kyra Stewart becomes the 11th Executive Director in the agency’s history.

2015

Summer Nutrition Program began. In partnership with the Department of Education, Family Service began offering healthy lunches to local school children who received free lunch during the school year.

2016

The Yucaipa Outreach Program office opened. Removing the barrier of transportation and distance, a pilot program with an office in Yucaipa was opened to serve low income, homeless or at-risk homeless families. Partnership with the city of Yucaipa and Redlands Community Hospital was key to making this a reality.

Give

Help Us Help Others.